Search This Blog

Monday, January 30, 2012

Up on my soap box...blah blah blah

So amazingly enough I HATE it when people adopt children that are different than they are and don't do any research or try to find out about the place that the kids are from!  So when I meet people who adopt these kids and then they complain that they are not exactly like them I try to be quiet and bite my tongue but that doesn't always work! At the same time I know that black folk watch what I do and how my Punkies look at all times.  You may say, "Oh she's just sensitive!" or "She's just imagining that" but I assure you that I have had many many people comment on the Punkies and how they are dressed or how their hair is done!

So that being said I want to talk about the Princess! As you can imagine I LOVE having a girl! And although she is a total tomboy and loves everything the boys love to do she does love to look beautiful! I encourage everyone who adopts or fosters black kids to really do research on their hair.  I know it sounds simple but it is really different than our hair and I have learned a ton!!!! I have bought books and videos.  I have watch YouTube videos and taken classes.  People do your research!!!!! I tend to be partial to having her be as natural as possible and love her curls.  A lot of black women have made comments and talked about straightening her hair.....Ummmmm....NO!  I really talk to her how about how beautiful her hair is and how special she is.

As she gets older, her hair is growing and it is getting longer and thicker.  It takes me anywhere from 2-3 hours now when I braid her hair or do "special dos" and about an hour to comb it out if I am going to do a  "frock".  There is a lot of crying and fit throwing(even some by the Princess) but we always laugh and coo over the end result!

Here are some before, during, and after pics from today!

Before we started today! Braids in tact!

Took out the braids. Yes I bribe her with rainbow suckers!

Curls that white girls pay big bucks for!

Its quiet sickening how cute she is!

It took me about an hour to take down all the braids.....

There are anywhere from 30-50 now

Her hair is thicker so I am getting better at getting even sized braids..

I would kill for the spirals, but now we have to wash....this gets tricky and loud...

Washed

She's still a little mad, she is always afraid that I going to get it in her ears or splash her face.

Before we comb out make sure the hair is really wet

I put on a movie

Combing out is going to take about an hour

I really moisturize her hair when I do any king of braids, it allows us a few days of  "poofs" and "frocks"

These simple braids took about 45 minutes

We always like the finished product even if it takes a movie or two!
So for all of you thinking about or getting ready to or waiting for an adoption, do your homework.  It helps them feel good about themselves! It helps you bond! And you can be proud of yourself!!!=)


1 comment: