Search This Blog

Saturday, September 15, 2012

Going on a road trip!!!!!





So we travel a lot for a family with 4 small children and a dog.  We like to take the Punkies to see the world and quite frankly they love to go go go!




But preparing to go on a road trip can always be difficult.  I tend to over pack, not wanting to forget anything or not having something that we can't live without.  So this time I am packing light for everyone and planning on doing laundry.  The funny thing is that the Punkies are all freaking out because I told them they can only pack 4 outfits each for the 10 day trip.  Hee hee! You really would have thought I told them they were wearing rags and potato sacks!

The Princess modeling a possibility 


Then there is the whole snack situation.  KK and the Punkies like to buy stuff when we stop for gas.....I like packing snacks that I have made..... So I try to compromise and they usually eat my snacks until the first stop then it's junk until we get home!=)



VS.



Then there is the whole, "What to do in the van for 8 hours of riding"? They have started to get into road games like looking for "slug bugs" and find ......... color car but that gets old fast so I let them bring their Ipads.  The problem with that has been it gets really loud.....REALLY LOUD!!! So I got them headphones...we will see how that works.

What's a Crazy Mommy to do?!



What do you do on long car rides with your kiddos?  Do you make snacks and bring them or buy them along the way as part of the experience? What do you do with them? Games? Music? Movies? Listen to books? Help a Mommy out!!!!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Nic, my kids are older but we just went on our first road trip. They watched movies, listened to their music, read magazines. For the most part they were good. Food, I packed a lot of food and drinks but they bought some too. You'll be fine - make sure they have their ipads (i'm jealous) and headphones, and snacks and drinks. Breathe deep, good luck, travel safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Nic.... I bought my kids dual dvd players... they can watch the same video or different ones.... I also had headphones for Marlie, in case she decided to watch a different movie, to help alleviate extra noise...

    I also packed a cooler of food for lunches at rest stops and healthier snacks for the car... BUT, we do have to keep a tradition of PRINGLES for the ride and DD for coffee and a donut to get the trip started ;)

    Good luck sweetie =D

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are already enroute- but your packing dilemmas are very familiar!
    We always have headphones & DVD player- lately they like jamming out to my iPod shuffle etc-
    Car blankets & neck pillows are a must AND - BOWLS!! Snack bowls are key- if I forget to pack them, plastic "punch" glasses are perfect!

    ReplyDelete