Search This Blog

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Chores for kids?

We always had chores as kids.  From early on I can remember helping Mommy do stuff around the house.  So when I became a parent it was something I did from the start.....giving the kids chores.  Not like Cinderella(although that is what Bu will tell you, he's Cinderella) but little things.  Now that all of them are older they all 4 have a small list of things that they have to do each day.

The Bigs are certain that I am abusing them with child labor so I got to thinking, are they to young? I mean it's simple things like 1. Make their beds 2. Wipe down the table after meals 3. Take out the recycling.  That's it really.... Zo takes up the dirty clothes and picks up the food from under the table.

Even the Littles have their list.  1. Help make your bed  2. Clear your dishes  3. Take your clothes to the laundry room.

So it not anything big, they also pick up after themselves when they are playing but again I don't think its a biggie.  The Bigs fight me with this all the way, everyday.  Crying, throwing fits that they have to help...... Is that normal?

Do you assign chores? At what age?  I've had Mom's tell me that it's to much, that as Mommy's we should be doing it, after all that is why we stay home to take care of our family.  But I feel like it is giving them a sense of responsibility. That it's part of being a family. Right?

Love for you all to weigh in on this one!

Wiping off the table

picking up the toys after playing

3 comments:

  1. chores are part of a civilized life. that's what i told my sweet dumplings. and you don't get paid for doing your part in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I keep telling them. I don't think they're to young....I need them to be ready for life not under my roof so if it is second nature to pick up after themselves is a good thing and their spouses will thank me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chores are good. Ty does them everyday. He does get an allowance. He saves up his money and buys the things he wants. He got Sari to start paying him for making his bed everyday but keeping his room clean and picking up his dishes and close are done without pay. He helps me around the yard and sometimes gets upset about it but when I tell him he can play with his friends after. He get stuff done real quick. I see kids around he that do nothing to help. They try to make a mess at my house and found out real quick they are not home. Poor woman spend all day cleaning up after there spoiled children. I hate to see what they do when they are grown. You Rock

    ReplyDelete