Search This Blog

Monday, October 10, 2011

Monday Morning Breakfast!!! Yuuuummmmmmy!

So some of you know this about me.......I'm crazy! I get up way to early in the morning, as do the Punkies, and I like to cook and bake.
I am perky in the morning! I know! It's gross right?!

I got everyone to bed last night and was listening to the news as I was tidying up waiting for Amazing Race to start(WOOO HOOOOO Amazing Race!!!) and I heard it was going to be chilly in the morning so I thought I would make "Toaster Pastry".


 I've made it before with fruit fillings and with PBJ and the Punkies LOVE them so I thought I would try bacon, egg and cheese filled ones!!!!
These are filled with homemade strawberry jam!


Now is the point where you roll your eyes and say,"Really Colie?! Like I have time to make homemade toaster pastry?!" But seriously it takes a little prep work and you can do it in no time flat!

AND Williams Sonoma makes this cute little press http://www.williams-sonoma.com/search/results.html?words=toaster%20pastry%20press for like $10! So you get to get a new gadget!!!!!!
 Woooooo, sorry I get excited about new kitchen gadgets! But you don't need one you can just cut the dough out with a knife.


So I started last night and this is how I do it......


In my food processor I combined the flour, salt and sugar until combined( I just throw in on for about 20 seconds).


 Add the butter( it should be cold right out of the fridge and cut up into cubes. If I remember I cut it up earlier in the day and then stick it in the fridge if I don't well I work fast!).


 Process the mixture until it looks like course meal, about 15 pulses. 


Now the reciepe says add 6 Tbl spns of ice cold water, I'm gonna tell you it takes me about 10-12. The dough should hold together but not be sticky. This is the tricky part so add it a Tbl spn at a time! I add 2-3 Tablespoons then pulse a couple of times. 


Then you turn the dough out onto a floured work surface,divide it in half, and shape each half into a disk.  Wrap the disks seperatly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or up to overnight. 
Now I do mine the night before and I have been known to mulitiply this up to like 8 times and freeze the pastries and have some on hand to throw in the oven when I am having a crazy hectic day for lunch or a snack! And you really can fill these with just about anything!


Toaster Pastries
For the pastry:


2 1/2 Cups of all purpose flour 
1 tsp. of salt
16 TBS. or 2 sticks of butter cold cut into a dice
6-12 TBS. of ice cold water




So in the morning I will roll out the dough and cut with the press or you can cut with a knife.
I do it 4 tarts at a time so 8 pieces.
Be careful when you are filling them that you put the mixture in the middle and leave a boarder AND that you don't overfill! I love to overfill and it always makes a mess!
These were filled with 2 eggs(scrambled), 6 pieces of bacon crumbled and a half cup cheese.
I make a little egg wash to help seal them. and then after I have put on the tops and seal them I give them a quick egg wash bath.


I put them back in the fridge for a hours to get them nice and cold again. Then put them in a pre heated 350 degree oven for 25 minutes.
You really can fill them with just about anything! It's nice cause they are not terribly messy when the Punkies (or me for that matter) eat them and I can throw it at them once I get them loaded up in the van!


So come visit us and I will make you a tasty toaster pastry!!!!




                    

1 comment:

  1. I adore you but you are CRAZY! LOL! They look YUMMO but too much work for this mommy! I wish I had your energy and stamina!

    ReplyDelete